We might be a little biased, but we think recruiters are the unsung heroes of the business world. A recruiter works hard to match the right people with the right jobs — and they don’t get paid until that contract is signed.
Despite this, recruiters often get a bad rep. So, today, we’re here to set expectations and look at just how valuable a good recruiter can be (and why it’s worth building relationships with the best ones).
What to Expect From a Recruiter as a Business
As the paying customer, businesses often want to negotiate recruiters down on their rate. But the best recruiter is worth paying for. Here’s what you can expect to get for that recruitment fee:
- Increased efficiency — Did you know that hiring an employee in the UK takes an average of 27.5 days? That’s 27.5 days of your team focusing on reading applications, scanning CVs, organising meetings, and conducting interviews. Using a recruiter speeds up this process as you’ll be matched with pre-vetted candidates that we know are right for the job. It also takes the workload off management — freeing them up to do their actual jobs.
- Access to the best talent pool — In a competitive hiring market, the best talent is becoming more scarce than ever. Luckily for you, a recruiter has already done all of the hard work and has a pool of brilliant candidates at the ready. Not only does this save you time, but it also means you can fill positions at short notice — ensuring you’re not left high and dry if a valued team member moves on unexpectedly.
- Ongoing relationships — A good recruiter is worth hanging on to. If you develop an ongoing relationship with a recruiter, they’ll get to know you, your team, your business, and your values. That means they can easily find you new employees who’ll fit right into your company.
- Value for money — It’s an old cliche but, when it comes to business, time is money. By increasing efficiency, building relationships with the best candidates, and doing the hard work so your team doesn’t have to, recruiters can actually save you money. So that fee is definitely worth it!
What to Expect From a Recruiter as a Candidate
It’s not just businesses that can benefit from working with a recruiter. While you may be tempted to go it alone as a job candidate, never underestimate how important it is to have someone who’s got your back. Here’s how a recruiter can help you find your perfect role:
- Insider info — According to recent research, it takes around 27 job applications before the average UK candidate gets an interview. A recruiter can streamline this process with specialist knowledge of your industry. They know who’s hiring and when, the current salary you should be asking for, and whether you’re missing any skills that might be prolonging your job hunt.
- Expert advice — You can also expect honesty from your recruiters. They’ll tell you if your CV isn’t up to scratch or if there are any issues with your interview technique that could put off potential employers. The truth might not always be easy to hear. However, it’s in the recruiter’s interest to have your best interests at heart.
- A safe space — If there’s one thing recruiters value, it’s good communication. That means you need to be available, prepared, and honest but it also means that your recruiter should listen to your wants and needs too. The best recruiters offer an environment where you can talk openly and freely about your values and goals.
- A direct line — Did you know that 98% of big companies used automated scanning to vet CVs? Even if you get past this stage, the average hiring manager only spends 6-8 seconds looking at each resume. Working with a recruiter helps you sidestep this procedure. Recruiters have a direct line to the best employers, increasing your chances of scoring that all-important interview.
Treat Your Recruiter Well
As you can see, recruiters do a whole lot of hard work — and sometimes for little to no reward. After all, how many other services do you use that are completely free up to the point of success? Recruiters can often work on a role for months on end only to lose out if a position gets cancelled or an employer goes with another agency. So, before you negotiate your recruiter’s rate down or pit them against other recruiters, it’s worth remembering that good treatment gets you the best service.
DB Charles — Exceeding Expectations
Of course, not every recruiter is the same. Here at DB Charles, we offer all of the above and more. We work hard to match the best candidates with the best companies and pride ourselves on offering a tailored, personal service. Whether you’re hiring or on the lookout for an exciting new role, we want to help. So let’s talk.